uucp not working in multi-user mode

Osvaldo Gold osvaldo at crystel.UUCP
Fri Feb 8 10:25:13 AEST 1991

In article <7215 at ozdaltx.UUCP> ian at ozdaltx.UUCP ( Philadelphia) writes:

>I can use uucp while in
>single user mode but when trying to use it while in multi-user I usally
>get the message LOGIN FAILED or CALLER SCRIPT FAILED. When the machine
>is in multi-user uucp will behave normally (dial modem connect ect.)
>but when it gets to login it fails. I have used uutry and this produces
>the message LOGIN FAILED.
>
>Scott

I had a very similar problem when trying to call an SCO Unix machine
from a DECstation 3100.  It turned out to be the number of stop bits
and character length  (look in /etc/gettydefs).  I fixed it by adding a
P_ZERO to the send string.  i.e.

silver Any ACU 2400 5551212 "" P_ZERO ogin:- at -ogin:-BREAK-ogin: nuucp word:

Hope it helps.

---
Osvaldo Gold
Secure Online Systems