Wizard-level questions

Scott Barman scott at nbc1.ge.com
Wed Feb 6 06:23:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan27.093615.3231 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>Hint:  if the book is by Kernighan, Ritchie, Thompson, Bach, Tannenbaum,
>McKusick et al, and a few others, then it's worthwhile.  One of the most
>useful books I had, back when all I knew was some C, was _Advanced UNIX
>Programming_, by someone whose name I sadly forget.  But it was a good text,
>and, after reading it, I went on to the more advanced books.  (It was what I
>would actually consider an advanced beginner's book.  Still useful.)

_Advanced UNIX Programming_, by Mark J. Rochkind, (c) 1985, Prentice-Hall
	ISBN 0-13-011818-4
	ISBN 0-13-011800-1 (paperback)

It is writen on System V Release 2 with some commentary on Xenix and BSD.
HOWEVER, it does present interesting problems and solutions using those
available tools that are portable to today's systems.

Of the list above, Comer was missing.  The original poster asked something
about networking.  A text I have found invaluable is:

Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture
by Douglas Comer, (c) 1988, Prentice-Hall,  ISBN 0-13-470154-2

It is well written and has answered the vast majority of my questions
on networking.

--
scott barman			|  There comes a time in everyone's existance
scott at nbc1.ge.com		|  when actions speak louder than words.