syncing passwd files for NFS

Jim Kavitsky kavitsky at hsi86.hsi.com
Thu Feb 28 07:26:03 AEST 1991

     Our site has an irritating problem at hand: how to sync up the password
and group files of a 4.3BSD VAX and a DG/UX (yuck!) Data General so that NFS
may be run without file ownership problems. Has anyone else out there had to
do this?

     The problem involves chowning and chgrping the existing file system
to match the new password file. I don't want to have to do this with a slew
of finds! I seem to remember reading on the net about a program that did this
by hopping down the inode table and making the appropriate changes. Sound
familiar anyone?

     Any ideas for handling this problem, or any expected pitfalls would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim Kavitsky
3M Health Information Systems
kavitsky at hsi.com