Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Jamie Mason jmason at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 2 22:34:10 AEST 1991

In article <43579 at ut-emx.uucp> D.Nash at utexas.edu writes:
>The interpretation of the / character is wired into namei()'s brain.

>be on the free list and the won't be allocated to files.  After you run
>clri, unmount the filesystem and run fsck on it to repair the damage.

Why go to all that trouble to deal with the file.  Just rename it.  That
is to say, edit the directory and change the / to something harmless like
a '_' or a '.' or antything else.

I don't remember how hard it is to get around the restriction to writing
directories as if they were files, but that would seem easier than
clearing the inode and then picking up the peices of the file system.  Of
course if writing to the directory was becoming a problem, you could
always get the directory's sector number from it's Inode and pull out a
sector editor on the appropriate block /device. :-)

Jamie  ...  "Who was that Masked Interrupt?"
Written On  Saturday, February 2, 1991  at  06:31:32am EST