Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Feb 21 07:30:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.115554.3465 at eik.ii.uib.no>, Kjartan writes:
   In article <BZS.91Feb14043317 at world.std.com>, Barry Shein writes:

   |> Doesn't norwegian use o-slash and all that?
   |> --

   Usually not in file names, but norwegian keyboards have 3 'extra'
   characters, so if any of you see { , | , or } in a word it
   corresponds to what must be written ae , oe and aa on 'ordinary'
   keyboards.

This, unfortunately, is dead wrong, bogus and doubly misleading.

Norwegian keyboards do _not_ have 3 _extra_ characters, and [\]{|}
are used in the national variant of ISO 646 for upper and lower case
AE ligature, O with slash, an A with ring above.  We do have a quite
peculiar keyboard layout in this country, but not "extra" keys as
opposed to any kind of "ordinary" keyboard (whatever that is).  The
two-letter transcribations of our national characters is almost
entirely a Norwegian 7-bit idiosynchracy with respect to terminals
with standard ASCII brackets, braces, backslash and vertical bar.

I would urge readers of comp.unix.wizards to ignore the article I
reply to.  It does not refer to Norwegian practice nor does its author
show any particular concern for accuracy with respect to the status of
national or international standards, which are in fact observed.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag at ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik at naggum.uu.no>