Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Rob Rogers rob at aeras.uucp
Thu Feb 21 13:35:33 AEST 1991

In article <Feb.16.11.29.52.1991.575 at remus.rutgers.edu> rauscher at remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) writes:
>>Maybe they didn't.  How bout this sceniero.
>
>>person types:   foo/bar and hits return
>>wanted to type: foo.bar and hit return
>
>>look at your keyboard.  it is possible.
>
>Yeh, it's possible to type this but in almost all versions
>of Unix, you'll just get an error 'No such
>file or directory' or something like it.  This will
>happen whether you're in a shell or application.
>
>-Rich

I belive the original poster said the file was transferred to his machine
via NFS (from a different file system). Lots of other file systems don't
think twice about a "/".
For instance, a Macintosh uses ":" (colon) as its magic-directory-marker.
Slashes (as well as spaces) in filenames are _very_ common.
(I teach people that come from Macs to UNIX. It takes a long time to get
used to _not_ putting a space in a name.)

Good 'ole DOS uses "\". It doesn't think twice about a / in a filename.

The whole world isn't UNIX, ya know (too bad).
--
	Rob Rogers
	Art Director, ARIX Computer Corporation