rm ./- (I have a file named "-")

Dean Cookson dean at cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu
Wed Feb 27 04:58:24 AEST 1991

In article <AS2-+QB at rpi.edu> rodney at dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>oh no.  I sense impending doom.
>

>In article <22834 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt2807a at prism.gatech.EDU (Benjamin H. Cowan) writes:
>>
>>  I have a file whose name consists of the single character "-".  I can't
>>rm it or mv it or cat it or more it or anything to it.  How can I get rid of
>>it?
>
>Here's an answer and I've tested it:    rm ./-

What's wrong with 'rm - -filename'???  It's in TFM and works under
SUN OS, AIX, and Ultrix.  I assume it works under others too, but
I only have access to those 3 at the moment.

>please, please, please lets not start the flurry of dumb answers again and
>the dumb flaming of of dumb answers.  please?  pretty please?
>Rodney

I don't think this qualifies as a dumb answer (it is the way TFM says
to do it.)  And I don't think it's a flame either.  Just a simple
way of doing the deed, and an explination of a feature put into
rm to get around this particular problem.

Hope it helps,
Dean

--
| Dean Cookson 	(Opinions?  What opinions??)	dean at po.cwru.edu	      |
| Information Network Services   		DoD #207 AMA #573534	      |