a .plan question..

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Jan 29 12:55:36 AEST 1991

>anyone know a way to run a program from a .plan? it needs to be run at the
>time of the finger, and run by the fingeree.
>the program is to see who is doing the fingering, then put their name in
>a log. any way to do this in this method? i saw it done a while back, but
>it couldve been some method of running a background program to constantly
>look at who's fingering around...

Unless there's some magic I don't know about within that particular
version of finger (like checking for exec bits) the obvious answer is
to make .plan a FIFO and have a program which waits for an open and
then does its stuff (right? it's been a while since I've programmed
FIFOs, but it seems like that would work, a pty might work also.)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs