Wizard-level questions

Melinda Shore shore at mtxinu.COM
Thu Jan 31 15:50:13 AEST 1991

In article <BZS.91Jan30133640 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
|From: greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf)
|>The idea of dealing with inode numbers outside the kernel might not be
|>such a horrible idea.  I believe this is partly the philosophy behind
|>the inode_pagedaemon in MACH (I vaguely recall seeing something like this
|>on a Mach machine we have here -- the term might be wrong).

It would be more interesting if it really were in user space.  The
inode pager is a kernel process and basically allows paging to
anonymous files.  Access to inodes is done within the kernel, not
in user space.  (This is in Mach 2.5.)

|I doubt the features in Mach you allude to answer any of these
|interests. Last I checked enabling that user-level pagedaemon stuff
|mostly resulted in the kernel panicking all the time and sites
|generally left it off. The whole thing is rather strange, IMHO.

It works well now.  The one thing that might bother some is that
after you shut down it leaves unreferenced files in the filesystem.
Fsck gets rid of them, natch.
--
               Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore                                 shore at mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                              ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore