SYS V - What is Inode 1 ?

Jeff Beadles jeff at onion.rain.com
Mon Jan 21 09:19:16 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan19.123830.8859 at micromuse.co.uk> micromuse!peter
  (Peter Galbavy) writes:
>For a while now I have been trying to find out - for no good reason -
>what inode 1 is reserved for in ATT SYSV. Whether the same is true for
>other UN*X's I do not know, but whatever V.2 or V.3 release I have
>seen, the root directory of a file system is always (as far as I have
>seen) inode 2.

Inode #1 was (a long time ago) a "file" that contained nothing but bad blocks.

Most system's don't use this any more, but they still reserve the number.  I'm
sure that there's some brain damaged (;-) software out there that thinks that
inodes start at #3.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, inode #2 is always the root of a mounted
filesystem.  (Inodes #'s are unique to each filesystem.)

	-Jeff
Jeff Beadles		jeff at onion.rain.com