no access to tty

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Thu Jan 24 12:38:38 AEST 1991

As quoted from <3859 at vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at> by nejdl at vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at (Wolfgang Nejdl):
+---------------
| When I log in to our Siemens MX300 system running System V (att
| environment), each csh shell gets the message: "no access to tty; thus
| no job control in this shell".  I do not have these problems, when I use
| the ucb environment on the MX300, or if I work on our SUN's. Does
+---------------

Since you're running in the "att" environment, BSD ioctls to get and/or set
the tty modes for job control will fail.  This is why you get the message.
It *should* be possible to set the BSD line discipline, thereby getting ^Z
and ^Y for job control --- try "stty line 1".  To check, type "stty all" after
the "stty line 1"; if it displays a longish stty setting list, you are in the
BSD line discipline, but if it prints "stty: unknown flag all" or similar,
then you're still in an AT&T-based line discipline.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN