a .plan question..

Patrik F{ltstr|m paf at nada.kth.se
Tue Jan 29 20:59:05 AEST 1991

In article <BZS.91Jan28205536 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>>anyone know a way to run a program from a .plan? it needs to be run at the
>>time of the finger, and run by the fingeree.

>to make .plan a FIFO and have a program which waits for an open and
>then does its stuff (right? it's been a while since I've programmed
>FIFOs, but it seems like that would work, a pty might work also.)

>        -Barry Shein

Yes, that might work, but most finger daemons check the .plan that
it is only a plain text-file, and also do not let control characters
through. Otherwise you have some security problems in your system.
You can with control-characters change the characteristic of the
fingering persons terminal. So, just checking for plain text-files
is not enough.

I sure hope that all finger daemons in the future do this test.

	Patrik Faltstrom <paf at nada.kth.se>