inode 1

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 06:37:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan28.230014.27674 at cbnewsi.att.com> npl at cbnewsi.att.com (nickolas.landsberg) writes:
>Can anyone with a better memory pin down exactly
>which version of Unix changed the magic 1 to a magic 2?

It was 1 in 6th edition, 2 in 7th edition.  No, I don't have a better
memory, just more manuals :-)

>the root inode was redefined as 2 and inode 1 was "reserved for future use."

The 7th edition manual says "I-node 2 is reserved for the root
directory of the file system, but no other i-number has a built-in
meaning".  I can't see any mention of the use of inode 1.

Next question: when did i-nodes become inodes?

-- Richard
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin