Question:Books on Unix

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Jan 25 00:59:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.072226.16356 at bradley.bradley.edu> data at buhub (Mark Hall) writes:
>In article <11425 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol at ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:
>>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.
>
>I would also recomment the "Tricks of the Unix Masters".  It discusses some
>things about the Kernel, and delves fairly deeply into Shell Scripting.

There are three books every kernel programmer should own -

	"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating
	 System", Samuel J. Leffler, et al.  Addison-Wesley, 1988
	 ISBN 0-201-06196-1, Library of Congress QA76.76.063D474

	"The Design of the UNIX Operating System", Maurice J. Bach.
	 Prentice-Hall, 1986.  ISBN 0-13-201799-7

	"A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System", J. Lions, 1977.

The first two are mandatory, the third is there for historical reference.
If a co-worker has a copy of it, you may want to borrow it for reading
some time.  It is no longer in print or otherwise available (sigh).

They are all very slow reading.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"13 of 17 valedictorians in Boston High Schools last spring were immigrants
 or children of immigrants"   -- US News and World Report, May 15, 1990