Network Time-keeping

eric.a.olson junk1 at cbnews.cb.att.com
Fri Jun 14 12:46:35 AEST 1991

    I maintain a couple of dozen 386/486s networked
    together with RFS and use nmake viewpathing.   The current
    reference area(s) might be on another machine.  I am capable
    of syncing any machine to a common machine's time in seconds,
    using tools I have found here and within AT&T.  However, no matter
    how often I sync, it is not often enough to satisfy nmake.
    In fact, more frequent sync seem to force recompiles more often.
    A newer version of nmake will allow me to fudge the time within
    a few seconds; however, this newer version has semantic differences
    which make my current makefiles incompatible.

    Is there a version of the network time protocol available
    for TLI/streams?   I suspect that if I could sync them to milliseconds
    rather than seconds, it might work.   Anybody else have any thoughts
    on this?