Exabyte blocking (/dev/rst*)

Steve McDowell mcdowell at .exlog.com
Sat Jun 15 02:13:16 AEST 1991

I am running under Sun's version of UNIX.

I have an exabyte tape that was recorded using a logical block size of
1024 bytes. I have written some software to copy these things; the problem
is that the st SCSI tape driver only wants to read 1024 bytes -- actually it
seems to perform up to 4 physical reads for a total of 4095 bytes for any given
read request. This is simply unacceptable performance for this application.

The Exabyte documentation shows a variable read mode that would allow for
larger transfer sizes. The question is this: how do I make the "st" driver
utilize this feature and do reasonable reads? Is there an ioctl() option
that isn't documented in the mt documentation?