Data Redundancy made simple

Reuben Wachtfogel ruben at bcstec.boeing.com
Wed Jun 26 11:11:26 AEST 1991

I'm working on a ring of >100 HP/APOLLOs and have a single
node that stores several sensitive data files that must
be available for our major application to work.

I could store dual copies of these files on 2 seperate nodes and
code the application to perform all updates of
these files on this MASTER node as well as a BACKUP MASTER node
so that if the MASTER were vaporized, the BACKUP could be slipped
in with minimal downtime.

My question is:

         'Is there some application transparent way to achieve
          data redundancy in a unix network ?'

I would think that a DEVICE DRIVER could be written to accomplish
this.  Is there an elegant way ?  SYS5 Streams ?  Does NFS help ?
Well Wizards, what say You ?

Please respond here or to ruben at dsp35001.boeing.com

                                                       Thanks

If you don't like the topic, ignore it or post your flames to /dev/null.

DISCLAIMER: This posting was randomly generated by chimp #2306893743823
            and does not represent the opinion of any large Aerospace
            company starting with a 'B'.