Another reason I hate NFS: Silent data loss!

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Jun 25 01:33:39 AEST 1991

In article <4282 at motcsd.csd.mot.com> lance at motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:

>AT&T's RFS runs solid as a rock, once you figure out how to configure it.
>(The latter is a muthuh of a learning curve.)  Use it if you can.

The sematics of killing any process that happens to have a file open over
RFS or is in an RFS-mounted directory when the RFS mount is broken is
a little annoying, though.  It's especially annoying in combination with
the AT&T DOS server software which handles several users per server
process.  If one user has a file open across an RFS mount when the
RFS like is broken, suddenly 6 DOS users lose their server (and their
work).  If the DOS server in question happens to be the parent process,
everyone gets disconnected.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us