intolerably stupid (was Re: file attributes)

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Sat Jun 29 12:59:19 AEST 1991

rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>I'm sorry, but spec'ing and standardizing something this big, this radical
>a change, before implementing (i.e., prototyping) and actually using it is
>just too stupid an idea to be tolerated.

	I believe that if you look around you, you'll find that the
intolerable is being tolerated and even supported all over the place. :-P

	Is pre-standardizing worse than pre-optimizing, or is it a
solution to pre-optimizing? Set the design flaws in concrete and then
you don't *HAVE* to fix them ever. Hmmm... Maybe that's the dodge. If
it's pre-standardized, you don't have to worry about getting it right.

mjr.