How does one imitate SV_INTERRUPT?

Bruce Sterling Woodcock woodcock at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 17 04:46:15 AEST 1991

The subject basically says it all.  I'm programming on a Sequent Symmetry
using Dynix V3.0.12 which, unfortunately, doesn't support the SV_INTERRUPT
flag.  Most systems after 4.2BSD have it.  To quote a 4.3BSD manual page:

     If a caught signal occurs during certain system  calls,  the
     call  is normally restarted.  The call can be forced to ter-
     minate prematurely with an EINTR error return by setting the
     SV_INTERRUPT   bit  in  the  flags  for  that  signal. [...]

Currently I'm trying to port a piece of software which uses SV_INTERRUPT,
but it is still not working correctly.  The code uses it to wait for a
SIGCHLD, wait for the handler to execute, and then return.  However, I'm
having little success getting the code to do this properly without
SV_INTERRUPT.  What I want to know is if anyone can provide a routine to
simulate the behavoir of SV_INTERRUPT, or how to work around it.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

--
Yes.  We fuck.  Often, and with great enjoyment of the act.  We aren't married,