file attributes

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Jun 24 22:34:33 AEST 1991

In article <1781 at sranha.sra.co.jp> erik at srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) writes:
>The reason I brought this up in comp.unix.wizards, is because I want
>to discuss how we could integrate this metadata idea into Unix.

To steal a quote from Dennis Ritchie, "if you want metadata, you know
where to find it."  UNIX is not the place to stuff every little idea
you think there is a market for.  If the market really wanted what you
are proposing, the Mac operating system would be running on as many
systems as UNIX currently does.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"UNIX signals are not interrupts.  Worse, SIGCHLD/SIGCLD is not even a UNIX
 signal, it's an abomination."  -- Doug Gwyn