how can I recover trashed directory/files?

Mike Morton mikem at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Sun Jun 9 09:45:00 AEST 1991

I just destroyed a directory of source files, and my most recent backup is
over two weeks old.  Any suggestions for ways to scavenge the deleted files?

Particulars:

I'm running NeXTstep 2.1, which I believe basically means the BSD file
system underneath.  I deleted the directory with the NeXT Workspace
Manager's "Destroy" command, which I suspect basically rm's the files.
I then spent some time conferring with friends on what to do, during
which time it's likely that something did a 'sync' and my superblock
has now forgotten the directory.  On the advice of a friend at NeXT,
I then pulled the plug (since an orderly shutdown might have trashed
some blocks I wanted).

I assume that booting off the disk will be a Bad Thing, likely to trash
blocks, and that I must remove the disk and attach it to another machine,
not as a boot disk.  The big question then is: What utilities or techniques
are available for finding my lost data?  I'd be willing to spend 2-3 days
reconstructing files; there are probably a dozen source files.

Please reply by email (not NeXTmail, sorry) and I'll summarize.  I thank
you, and my misplaced data thank you, too.

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11299, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.