file attributes

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.att.com
Sat Jun 22 18:01:03 AEST 1991

	I think maybe Jamie Mason was a bit quick in dismissing
Erik's suggestion for mopen. The problem is that the Unix file system
interface has no standardised way of accessing a file's attributes
other than those stored in the stat buffer. Erik mentioned the
preferred application name as an example and Jamie jumped all over that
but the general problem remains. For example, how can I access resources
from a Macintosh file acessed through a network file system? This is a
serious problem and worthy of at least some thought.

	andrew hume