file attributes

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at cirrus.com
Wed Jun 26 11:15:29 AEST 1991

On the Mac, as I understand it, double-clicking on the filename gives
you a certain application program that uses that file...

...Triple-clicking the file gives you another application that uses
the same file...

...Quadruple-clicking the file give you yet another application...

...No, wait.  My imagination is runing wild here.  In fact the Macintosh
recognizes exactly one application for each file.

When I double-click on a C file, I don't always want to just compile
it.  Sometimes I want to run lint on it instead.  Other times I want to
expand tabs in it.  Other times I want to enter my favorite editor to
edit that file.  Other times I want to enter my favorite editor in
read-only mode to view that file.  Other times I want to enter my
*second*-most favorite editor to edit that file, because I just happen
to need a feature at that instant that that second-most favorite editor
provides.

Frankly, I *don't* think UNIX users should revert back to the Dark
Ages, when there was One Standard Thing they could do quickly with any
file, and everything else took multiple menus and multiple mouse
clicks.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi