ISC 2.2 Installation Problem SOLVED : -)

Michael Schommer [Inf-FSE] schommer at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu Jun 13 21:23:59 AEST 1991

	Hello World !!

  The day before yesterday, I wrote  [...]

> I have a problem using ISC Unix 2.2 and the following hardware:
>
>	*  ECS 386/25 "A" Board (w/o  Cache)
>	*  AHA 1542B
>	*  Optima Mega (ET4000, 1MB)
>	*  4 MB RAM
>	*  2 RS232, 1 Centronics
>	*  several Disks... (choos one: Quantum Prodrive 120S, 210S,						52LPS, Rodime 2359TS (210MB))
>				   only one at a time...
>	*  1x 5.25" Floppy
>	*  Cherry Keyboard
>	*  Cabling and the like....
>
>  When the installation script tries to copy files from the INSTALL Floppy
>  to the hd, the procedure always breaks and brings an error like ...
>   >
>	FATAL ERROR: Cannot copy files to fixed disk
>
>  (in a blue box at the center of the screen) or an error like ....
> >
>	chown: unknown user id: root
>  and 3 seconds later ...
>	copyfiles.sh: mknod: cannot execute
>>
>  in small white letters at the bottom of the screen (left hand side).
>  That's all. No chance to complete the installation. I have had this
>  error before, but after I started again, the system installed fine.
>  Now, I tried it a dozen times - without success. I could be a fault
>  of the board, of the software, or the SCSI stuff - I despare :-(

   Concerning this posting, I got a lot of replies, and nearly all of
   them mentioned a problem with the VGA Card (16-Bit DMA Access).
   Many people told me, that 16-Bit DMA Access COULD scramble some data
   read from the disk (i mean: read all bytes as 0xff), which causes
   some problems during installation. The told me to put the VGA-Card
   into an 8-Bit Slot and restart the installation (if my INSTALL Floppy
   is still ok - it was scrambled, but it was only a copy :-). This
   worked. And it worked fine :-). I was told to put the VGA-Card after
   the installation has finished back into an 16-Bit Slot (which I did),
   and all worked fine. (Maybe this problem could find its way into
   the FAQ posting...)

   So let me thank all people who helped me to solve this problem.
   THANK YOU  * V E R Y *  MUCH  :-)

   Ok... that's all, folks.
   Salu...
					Michael