file attributes

Erik M. van der Poel erik at srava.sra.co.jp
Sun Jun 30 21:42:13 AEST 1991

Dick Dunn writes:
> How many times do we have to learn that the "waterfall model" for software
> development doesn't work, and that the mistakes it causes are dreadfully
> expensive?

OK, I see your point that it is important to develop software by
building prototypes and throwing them away if they are no good.

On the other hand, I think it is also important that we do not release
software to end-users until we are reasonably sure that the specs
won't change. End-users are hit hard by incompatible changes.

As always, we need to find a middle-of-the-road compromise.

How about trying to spec it out as much as possible, and then
implementing a few prototypes without letting end-users get their
hands on them?
-
--
EvdP