#! (was Re: file attributes)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Jun 27 03:41:21 AEST 1991

>Actually, if I were about to change the semantics of a prominent UNIX
>call, I would probably have given it a new name,

The whole *point* of the change was to make it *transparent* to existing
programs!

If you decide they're different calls and give them different names, all
the programs out there that use the old calls won't be able to run
scripts.  I don't *want* to have to change every single program that
calls one of the exec-family routines just so that it can automatically
run shell/awk/perl/whatever scripts.

>You could also get rid of the ugly hard-coded limits that
>are in kern_exec.c;

E.g., the 1MB hard-coded limit on number of characters passed as
arguments to a program? :-)  (Yes, there *are* systems with limits that
large.  I hope I don't have to spend very much time ever again on
systems with tiny limits such as 20480 characters....)