How to config an FDDI link in addition to existing ethernet?

Torstein Meyer torstein at nic.forut.no
Tue Jun 25 04:19:57 AEST 1991

We have tried out a number of sollutions, though admitting a lack of
internet and routing know-how. Our set up is :

---- ethernet --------|------------------------|-----------------
		     le0                      le0
                 eldo.forut.no             rado.forut.no
		     fza0                     fza0
                      |========= fddi =========|

Both eldo and rado being DEC Station 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 with
fddi adapters and ethernet adapters installed.
How do we set up this to avoid any traffic accross the fddi segment but
the traffic between eldo and rado, still being able to perform any nor-
mal ethernet(tcp/ip) traffic using the common ethernet ????

Any solutions or hints are welcome concerning
	ifconfig
	/etc/hosts
	/etc/networks
	/etc/rc.local
	routed ?

Our attepmts often gave odd warnings, such as ....
# ping feldo
feldo.fddi is alive
# ping nic
icp->icmp_type  (5)  !=  ICMP_ECHOREPLY (0)
nic.forut.no is alive
# ifconfig fza0 down

Torstein Meyer	torstein at forit.forut.no	+47 83 80 150
Syst.cons	FORUT-IT		+47 83 82 420 (fax)