mailing to le1 on sun workstation

King Ables ables at lot.ACA.MCC.COM
Wed Mar 6 09:30:26 AEST 1991

>From article <3414 at unisoft.UUCP>, by greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf):
>
> #  That's what you get when you use two different names for the same system.
> # (This is generally a bad practice).
>
> That's what you have to do when you have a machine with two (or more)
> ethernet boards in it.
>
> This is generally not avoidable unless you want to muck about with multiple
> sendmail.cf files and /etc/hosts files and...well, you get the idea.
> It's a lot easier to try and set up a machine with two (or more) names
> than it is to manipulate different config files and try and maintain a
> distribution list.  The first one you only have to do once.

Sorry, Neil is right, it is a bad practice.  We have many gateway machines
around here for our various local nets that have two ethernet interfaces with
the same name... this is NOT a problem, this is, in fact the "normal" way to
do it.

And it doesn't complicate things, all of our machines (except the one
definitive mail gateway) use the same (yes, EXACTLY the same) sendmail.cf
file and our host tables are Yellow Pages and therefore all the same, too.

It's HARDER to set the machine up with multiple names, then you have a bunch
of things to keep up with (let's see, which side of the machine do I want
this to work on!?)... of course, if your routing is set up right, even that
isn't too much of a problem, but it's still easier with one name.