Hacking

Brent Burton n138ct at tamuts.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 28 08:40:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar27.173046.29751 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>	If you're feeling "sophisticated" you won't even try a dictionary
>attack. Quelle gaucherie!!
>
>	This dictionary-attack newbie stuff is about IBM-PC BBS-weenie
>level. Sure, it works, but it's nauseatingly amateurish.

I thought this was a ridiculous statement.  Sure, it might be a very straight-
forward easy-to-understand method, but obviously it works.  I don't think it'd
be such a popular method if it didn't work.

I'm not interested in cracking into systems, but if I was, I know that I'd
try the easiest way to do this.  I certainly WOULD NOT spend time researching
an O(xx) cracking algorithm to do this.  I imagine some dedicated cracker
would.