Hacking

Mark Stephen Kidder kidder at en.ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Mar 27 19:43:25 AEST 1991

OK!  For everybody that wants to know and even those who don't, probably
every possible idea of cracking accounts has been put into play.  I
have received mail from about 20 different people saying the say thing:
test with the dictionary method.  I totally agree that this method is
not only easy to do, but will work in most cases, provided that the
user uses real words (as pointed out by many others, new users do) instead
of complex passwords consisting of both cases, symbols, and numbers.
Have a nice day!

Mark

PS I learned earlier from another that UNIX does not use a DES
   encryption method for the password; however, a one-way method
   is used making decoding a password impossible.