Hacking and "Amateurism"

Rick Smith smith at sctc.com
Fri Mar 29 00:38:52 AEST 1991

mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>	This dictionary-attack newbie stuff is about IBM-PC BBS-weenie
>level. Sure, it works, but it's nauseatingly amateurish.
Ugh. This type of comment is nauseatingly amateurish. And rude. I don't
like comments that choke off honest questions.

Dictionary attacks may lack "glamour" somehow, but they _are_ effective
on many systems. And it's clear from other comments in this thread that
they aren't as well understood as security types might wish.