dumping executables

Dan Ellard ellard at bbn.com
Thu Mar 7 03:26:34 AEST 1991

Dear Wizards--
	I have heard of a technique for creating "pre-initialized"
	executables-- i.e. you run a program through all its startup
	and initialization code, and then somehow dump it, creating
	a new executable which you can then run, which is an image
	of the program that you dumped, and therefore is already
	"initialized".  Supposedly gnu emacs and some lisp systems
	use this technique.  Does anyone know how this is done?
	(if it matters, I'm using SunOS 4.1-- but I'd like to know
	how to do it for any UNIX system)

	Please respond by email.  I'll post a summary if anyone is
	interested.

-Dan
ellard at bbn.com