Shared Libraries: Unique to Suns??

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Wed Mar 27 00:36:46 AEST 1991

In article <13727 at helios.TAMU.EDU> dlb5404 at tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) writes:
>Excuse my naivete, but can anyone tell Brent (Burton) and me how to
>use the shared libraries?  I'd love some smaller executables.
>
>--Daryl Biberdorf,  dlb5404@{tamuts,rigel}.tamu.edu
>  Texas A&M University

In UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 the C Issue 4.1.5 or 4.1.6 uses Static Shared
Libraries.  The default compiler/linker/loaded option is to NOT use them.
Therefore to link-edit with the static shared libaries use:
	cc -O -o foo foo.c -lc_s -lnsl_s

In UNIX System V/386 Release 4.0 the C Issue 5.0 uses Dynamic Shared Libraries.
The default compiler/linker/loader option is to use these libraries.
Therefore to link-edit with out the dynamic shared libraries use:
	cc -O -o foo foo.c -dn

	cc -O -o foo foo.c -dy  <- Dynamic Yes is the default

UNIX System V/386 Release 4.0 distributes the 3.2 Static shared libraries (/shlib)
so applications using 3.2 Static shared libraries will run on 4.0 as they did
on 3.2

Other Operating Systems/Compilers that offer Shared libaries will be probably
be different.

Sincerely,
John Ben Urban