One solution to (Re: How do a login shell detect that it is "remote")

Lars Magnusson s1039 at heron.qz.se
Fri Mar 22 21:42:49 AEST 1991

In article <9103211956.AA11855 at msri.org> you write:
>In article <1991Mar20.154258.1439 at resam.dk> andrew at resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
>>Well the problem boiled down because suddenly I found out that when I
>>use rlogin to log in on a remote site, I get the path defined in the
>>login scripts on the remote workstation and it is not possible to get
>>the path from the workstation that I'm physical located at.  That's
>>logical because the workstation I rlogin into may be something almost
>>but not entirely unlike the SunSparc I'm looking at!
>>HOW do I detect that I'm logged in from a remote site (I know that
>>is cheating, but I need to put in the path again)?
>>
>>Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
>
>	I have more or less the same problem. The additional difficulty I
>have is that I some times use standard X11R4 and wish different binaries
>for xterm etc.

>You should rlogin to a remote host by doing
>
>	> xnrsh remote_host xterm
>
>or
>Of course, you will need to set up .rhosts on machines so that you can
>login w/o a passwd. And don't forget to pass Xauth infomation or use xhost
>to add the remote_host to the access list.
>
>	This is the most satisfaction solution I have found so far. Does
>any body have any better ideas?

>	Rui - Tao  Dong         |       (415) 237 - 7628 (H)

An alternative, depending a bit on loginnames(ie. are several individuals
usin tha same login) and X's functionality in an rlogin-situation, is the
solution i'm presently are using to distinguis between consol-login and
telnet-login ftom a PC to a Sparc WS.

In .login I have following construction.
---------- .login ----------
set  $PTYPE = `$HOME/bin/ptst`
if ($PTYPE == 'p') then
	set term = vt100
else
	set term = sun
endif
--------
------- ptst  ---------
ps -x | grep "\-csh" | awk '{print $2; exit }' | cut -c1
-----------------------

If your at consol the value is "c" as in console, otherwise it's
"p" for ptty. I am only using it for setting up terminal, but if
your not sharing som pseudo-anonymous login with other users, and
Xterm on the local mashine does'n demand any special .loginshells
you should be able to control the login enviroment in this way.

I could have had different PATH defined, but since I don't need it ....

The ptst should have been "who am i | cut -cX " insted, but both
ps and who sends out som codes, that cut does not like on the SUN,
at least I gave up. The ideal would have been to put it all in .login
but also her it were problems. But as it is, it works just fine.

 Lars Magnusson                      ! EUNET : lmag at z.amu.se
 Dept. of Computing 		     ! KOM   : s1039 (s1039 at heron.QZ.SE)
 AMU Jamtland 			     ! Tel   : + 46  63 14 56 00
 Box 603  			     ! Fax   : + 46  63 12 33 42
 832 01 Froson   (Ostersund)	     !
 Sweden				     !
             (Ostersund - candidate for Winter Olympics 1998)