Why is restore so slow?

Ken Lerman lerman at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Mar 6 00:27:16 AEST 1991

In article <480 at appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at Eng.Sun.COM writes:

>I believe that a key component to the slowness of restore is the synchronous
>nature of directory operations in the Unix file system.  For example, a create,
>---
>Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com

I was always taught that there is no point in debating how many angels
can dance on the head of the pin when one can just go count them. :-)

Has anyone out there with the appropriate source done some measurement
of where the time goes in restore?  How many reads/writes does it do?
How long does each take?  Do those figures seem reasonable? ...etc...

Just a humble suggestion from someone who neither has the problem nor
the solution. :-)

Ken