How do a login shell detect that it is "remote"

Leif Andrew Rump andrew at resam.dk
Thu Mar 21 01:42:58 AEST 1991

Some of the quick reader may have read (before I cancelled the
article: <1991Mar20.142203.682 at resam.dk>) about my problems getting
dbxtool (an OpenLook & SunView GUI frontend to dbx) up and running!

Well the problem boiled down because suddenly I found out that when I
use rlogin to log in on a remote site, I get the path defined in the
login scripts on the remote workstation and it is not possible to get
the path from the workstation that I'm physical located at.  That's
logical because the workstation I rlogin into may be something almost
but not entirely unlike the SunSparc I'm looking at!

BUT!

When I start OpenWindows 2.0 (Sun's version of X) it changes my path
so $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview become the first item in it! OK, because
then I run the OpenWindows programs instead of SunView programs which
is located in /usr/bin (!)

BUT!

When I rlogin to another workstation I get the path from the other
workstation - WITHOUT $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview - i.e. I run the SunView
versions in /usr/bin instead - which doesn't like to open windows on
remote sites!

HOW do I detect that I'm logged in from a remote site (I know that
is cheating, but I need to put in the path again)?

AND NO I can't put it in from the beginning - try it and you'll see
the software fight of the century to the rights to own the screen!

Any suggestions?

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew at ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew at resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

NOTICE: 'Cause of SendMail ConFiGuRation FaultS weee may experiienc ProBleeems
wiiiiiiith our return add<zap> andrew at resam.dk whiccccch may BeCoMe sOmEthIng
like <wheee>w at cph<click> !%#@#
							       login: