POSIX bashing

Curtis Yarvin cgy at cs.brown.edu
Sat Mar 30 08:59:50 AEST 1991

In article <3446 at unisoft.UUCP> greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
>...as next to useless as one can get without removing, say,
>the "minimal" tty editing functions (erase, kill, intr, quit,

How many applications that you use keep the terminal in cooked mode?  If the
answer is "too many," I recommend the "fep" program, which gives any
"cooked" app history and other editing features.  Needless to say, it uses
with raw-mode (and a pty).  Unlesss you are a godlike typist, your life will
become much easier.

Cooked mode is obsolete.  It was originally an efficiency hack to reduce I/O
processing; this has long been a marginal optimisation.  Any text interface
written today should use the GNU "readline" libraries, or an equivalent.

curtis

"I tried living in the real world
 Instead of a shell
 But I was bored before I even began." - The Smiths