UNIX tape duplicator request

Nick Raphael RAPHAEL%s51.prime.com at relay.cs.net
Wed Mar 27 01:53:55 AEST 1991

I'm not a wizard, and can offer only a suggestion.

Investigate the dd command.  That should allow
you to make a byte-for-byte copy.

Nick

--- Your original message :

Subject: UNIX tape duplicator request
To:   info-unix at list.prime.com,
      unix-wizards at list.prime.com
From: Gantt Edmiston  <GED at WUFPAK.Prime.COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 91 10:06:00 EST

Hello UNIX literate from one who is not!

I have a need and hopefully someone out there has a solution.

The problem:  The need to duplicate UNIX software on 60 MB data
cartridges.  I have a Prime EXL320 CPU which runs System 5 Version 3.1.2
UNIX.  I can (I have the Hardware) configure two 60 MB tape drives on
the same SCSI chain, if necessary.  (This would allow me to theoretically
do a tape-to-tape copy.)  If it is just as easy to do a
tape-to-disk-to-tape then ok also.  I want to DUPLICATE exactly the data
from the source tape to a blank tape so that they are functionally
identical.

As I stated from the beginning,  I am quite new to UNIX and would
appreciate your help with EXACT steps and procedures.

Thanks, Gantt Edmiston, PrimeService Customer Engineer
GED at WUFPAK.Prime.COM