sendmail on SCO ODT + uucp

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Sun Mar 31 01:21:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.175919.17154 at edm.isac.CA> steve at edm.isac.ca (Steve Hole) writes:

>1.  If I start sendmail from the rc as a an stmp daemon with the
>    following arguments:
>
>    /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h
>
>    the any messages recieved via SMTP and routed to an external
>    connection via uucp will fail with a similar error message to the
>    one you show above.  If I kill the daemon started by the rc, and run
>    it from the command line, everything works fine.
>
>2.  If I start smtpd via inetd.conf, it fails similarly every time.
>
>Therefore, it would seem that smtp daemon processes started without a
>controlling terminal cannot execute uux.  I have absolutely no idea why.

 This is a wierd problem.

 I don't know if this will work, but here is a possible stopgap workaround.

1.  Run sendmail from /etc/rc with only the -bd operand.

2.  Modify the definition of the UUCP mailer, by making it an "expensive"
    mailer.  (Check your manual for mailer flags).  You should be able to
    get it to queue all UUCP mail, instead of sending directly to uux.

3.  Run a script regularly from 'cron' to clear out the queue.  The script
    should try to attach itself to a tty, perhaps by redirecting stdin and
    stdout to the console.  Then it can invoke sendmail with the -q option.

 As I said, I am not sure whether it will solve your problem, but it may
be worth a try.