gcc retargeting help -- where??

Michael I Bushnell mib at geech.ai.mit.edu
Fri Mar 1 18:43:15 AEST 1991

In article <amoss.666886019 at shum> amoss at SHUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Amos Shapira) writes:

   dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

   >We (at Cirrus Logic Inc.) are looking for expert help in retargeting
   >gcc to a new processor architecture.  I'm not sure what the status of
   >the retargeted gcc will be -- it may remain proprietary.  Once in a
   >while I have seen a .signature line offering to provide paid consulting
   >for GNU software.  Can anybody direct me to a source of this sort of
   >information?  I did scan through the gcc documentation and didn't see
   >any listings of consultants who do this type of work.

   Look in the etc/SERVICE file in the GNU Emacs distribution. I saw there
   at least one entry offering porting of gcc.

It should be noted that the GNU emacs service directory stipulates:

Before FSF will list your name in the GNU Service Directory, we ask
that you agree informally to the following terms:

1. You will not restrict (except by copyleft) the use or distribution
of any software, documentation, or other information you supply anyone
in the course of modifying, extending, or supporting GNU software.
This includes any information specifically designed to ameliorate the
use of GNU software.

2. You will not take advantage of contact made through the Service
Directory to advertise an unrelated business (e.g., sales of
non-GNU-related proprietary information).  You may spontaneously
mention your availability for general consulting, but you should not
promote a specific unrelated business unless the client asks.

That means that if you use this valuable resource to find someone to
do a GCC port, they shouldn't allow it to become proprietary.

	-mib