Why is restore so slow?

Stefano Longano stefano at angmar.sublink.ORG
Wed Mar 6 20:02:00 AEST 1991

In <480 at appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at slovax.Berkeley.EDU (Larry McVoy) writes:

>I believe that a key component to the slowness of restore is the synchronous
>nature of directory operations in the Unix file system.  For example, a create,
>something that occurs quite often in restore :-), is synchronous.  It has to
>be, those are the semantics of a Unix file system (can you say lock files?).

These operation need not to be syncronous to retain the semantics of the
Unix file system. You could read the paper presented at the Summer '90 USENIX
Technical Conference by Mendel Rosenblum and John Ousterhout about the
Sprite Log-structured File System. This paper is available for anonymous FTP
from sprite.berkeley.edu.
--
Stefano Longano           WW           WW    EMAIL : stefano at angmar.sublink.ORG
Viale Trento 1            ||wwwwwwwwwww||     Happy are those who dream dreams