(was slashes, now NFS devices)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Mar 2 03:32:11 AEST 1991

In article <14367 at ulysses.att.com> ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:

>No, I'm well aware of the difference between RFS and NFS. RFS is a distributed
>Unix filesystem and guarantees Unix semantics on remote files.

Does device access over RFS actually work completely in any released version
of unix?  See my articles in comp.sys.att for a description of problems
trying to get uucp to use a remote tty line.  It "almost" works but it
looks like certain ioctl()'s fail, with differences between '386 and
3B2 versions (each accessing a similar machine - the difference is in which
functions work properly).  All machines are running AT&T's SysVr3.2 with
the RFS links over Starlan.

Perhaps we can continue this discussion of how useful remote device access
is when someone can give a real working example.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us