Why not Multics? (was Re: BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu May 16 08:45:52 AEST 1991

>(there would have been more shipped video applications if we included
>games in Multics releases).

Gee, just like 4.3BSD - most of the "curses" applications in 4.3BSD
appear to be games, and half of the applications using "termcap" at all
appear to be games, as determined by looking for "-ltermlib"/"-ltermcap"
(which is used by all "curses" programs) in "/usr/src/*/Makefile" and
"/usr/src/*/*/Makefile"):

games linked with "-lcurses":
	battlestar
	canfield
	cribbage
	hangman
	hunt
	mille
	rain
	robots
	rogue
	sail
	snake
	worm
	worms

games linked with just "-ltermlib" (or "-ltermcap", same thing):
	backgammon

non-games linked with "-lcurses":
	"old" talk
	sysline
	systat
	talk

non-games linked just with "-ltermlib" or "-ltermcap":
	clear
	crtplot
	dumbplot
	ex
	lpq
	more
	msgs
	tn3270
	tset
	ul

I haven't checked 4.3-tahoe nor 4.3-reno.