how to check port settings on a Sun

Adrian J Ho adrianho at barkley.berkeley.edu
Sat May 25 19:49:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991May23.191124.359 at st-andy.uucp> larry at st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) writes:
>In article <837 at hartmanis.albany.edu> kevind at cs.albany.edu (Kevin M. Dombroski) writes:
>>Folks,
>>	How do I change/check the port settings on a Sun 3/50? I've been told
>>"stty mode > /dev/ttya" will change the settings; how do I check this? I've
>>tried "stty -a < /dev/ttya", which has no effect. Please let me know. Thanks.

>The BSD stty (which you will run by default - it's in /bin) will not change
>or check the settings of anything other then the tty you are executing it
>from.

Huh?  Works fine for me (/dev/ttya is hooked up to a VT220):

# stty -a > /dev/ttya
[...]
isig iexten icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
[...]
# stty -echo > /dev/ttya
# stty -a > /dev/ttya
[...]
isig iexten icanon -xcase -echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
[...]

>	The System V stty (it lives in /usr/5bin), however, will do exactly
>what you want. To change port settings execute:
>	   "/usr/5bin/stty mode > /dev/ttya".

RTFM, and make that:
	/usr/5bin/stty mode < /dev/ttya
Your way will _really_ set "mode" on the tty you're executing it from.

Kevin's problem was in the way he was _querying_; he should have done:
	stty -a > /dev/ttya

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho at barkley.berkeley.edu