BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at stowe.cs.washington.edu
Tue May 7 02:37:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991May6.112302.27896 at prl.dec.com> boyd at prl.dec.com (Boyd Roberts) writes:

>   [ ... deleted ]
>
>UNIX write(1) is small and simple.  It does the job in a friendly environment.
>It was not written to deal with boofheads who'd cat /dev/universe | write ...

I think we should avoid picking on write(1), or cat(1).How about:

	Unix is small and simple. It does the job in a friendly environment.
	It was not written to deal with boofheads.

Actually, watching unix.wizards for only 1 month, I'm beginning to
lose my reverence for this OS completely. The elegance and purity of
the thing were an adequate compensation for doing a very inhuman job,
but the way it seems Unix is going to be in another 2 years, I almost
think its not worth going on ...
--
Paul Barton-Davis <pauld at cs.washington.edu> UW Computer Science Lab

"People cannot cooperate towards common goals if they are forced to
 compete with each other in order to guarantee their own survival."