net.politeness

Perry E. Metzger metzger at watson.ibm.com
Wed May 1 05:21:32 AEST 1991

In article <13218 at goofy.Apple.COM> erc at Apple.COM (Ed Carp) writes:
>In article <3600:Apr2614:04:4391 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>
>>6. I will give further details on the security holes to anyone who
>>convinces me that he has a legitimate interest. That means I want a
>>verifiable chain of people and phone numbers from the contact for a
>>major network down to whoever wants the information, plus a better

>Um, what IS this bullshit?  Who the hell are you to set yourself up
>as some sort of net.god and tell us that you will "bless" us with all
>your neat little hacks and info only if we satisfy your little set of
>rules?  Your pathetic excuses about protecting the information from
>"black hats" is unmitigated bullshit.

I see you work for U.S. West Consulting, Mr. Carp. I hope you are a
bit more polite and rational with your customers and employers; the
consulting buisness is based largely on customer relations.

As for your contention that Mr. Bernstein is wrong for not posting the
details of the security holes he has uncovered, you may or may not be
right, but one certainly can't tell through the layers of foul
language you have coated your message wtih. Mr. Bernstein certainly
has the right to do what he likes, and its certainly antisocial, not
to mention destructive to your image with your peers, when you flame
at him in that manner. It is also quite unlikely that insults and
villification will get him to change his mind about publically
releasing his information.

Perry Metzger