cpp gone in 4.0 (Was: cpp vs. m4 for .s files)

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Thu May 9 23:45:47 AEST 1991

In article <14717 at ulysses.att.com> ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:
>In article <1991May6.162351.1521 at cbnewsl.att.com> urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:
>
>>This is because cpp is completely gone for UNIX System V Release 4.0.
>
>Not really:
>
>$ uname -a
>quail quail 4.0 2.1 i386 386/AT
>$ ls -l /lib/cpp
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         16 Mar  5 14:24 /lib/cpp -> /usr/ccs/lib/c
>pp
>$ ls -l /usr/ccs/lib/cpp
>-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin      bin        24084 Mar  5 14:22 /usr/ccs/lib/cpp

Well I guess I was mistaken.  It isn't physically gone.  I guess it's still their
for backwards compatibility or something - extra baggage.  However, it's not
a supported way of using the pre-processor.  You should use cc -E or cc -P.
If you type in: truss -o /tmp/CPP -f cc -E file.c
and then examine /tmp/CPP, you'll see that cpp is never called.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban