Compiler Problem

Steven Cozza cozza at cshl.org
Fri May 10 01:33:35 AEST 1991

Ok I have a problem for you to help solve.  I have a C module containing only
one thing, a good-sized autoinitialized array.  A fragment of the code follows
this description.

The problem that I am having is that this one module will not compile on either
a Decstation 3100 or an Evans&Sutherland MIPS workstation, using their compiler
or the GNU compiler (ver 1.39).  The types of error messages I have been
getting are similar to this message which came from the DEC compiler:

prompt> make fa.o
        cd fa_code;     cc -O -c fa_scores.c
ugen: internal  : line 0 : ../symbol.p, line 261
                Insufficiant memory
*** Error code 1

Stop.

All of the messages seem to relate to lack of memory, another said "insufficient
virtual memory".  The module compiles fine on a Sparcstation 1 using Suns
compiler or gcc.  The only thing I can come up with is that the Sparc has a
much larger swap space than either the Decstation or the ESV.  Before I go
and increase their swap space I thought I would get some sort of confirmation
or refutation for the net.  Any ideas, or questions just send them off to me.
Thanks for any help.

===========
code fragment
===========

#define SCORES_L_MAX 1000
#define SCORES_D_MAX 100

float fa_scores[SCORES_L_MAX + 1][SCORES_D_MAX + 1] = {
   0.000000,
   0.000000,
   0.000000,
   0.000000,