/etc/utmp (login, getty)

Forrie Aldrich forrie at morwyn.UUCP
Tue May 7 02:42:27 AEST 1991

I am porting a couple of pd packages to my machine... one implements the
SHADOW password funcionality and the other is a pd GETTY program.  They
both seem to work fine, except that I have noticed something strange with
the information stored in the utmp file.

On my machine (a 3b1), we have a main window device which all process are
spawned on/from, /dev/window.  Then we have /dev/w1 through /dev/w12.  Each
process is usually given one of the w1-w12 names after it's run... for
instance when I login under the normal 'login' program, I will see my
entry in the /etc/utmp file as saying that I have one of these w1-w12
devices.  But when I use the pd login program, the /etc/utmp file says
that I am on /dev/window, and it shouldn't be that way.

This prevents me from using a lot of custom software which apparently reads
the /etc/utmp file to see if you are logged in to a valid device or not.

My question is how can I get this program to work correctly?  My feeling
is that it's the login program that needs the 'tweaking', as getty merely
spawns the process off the main character /dev/window.  Whichever I am not
sure of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have spent a LONG time porting
these applications!

Thanks in advance.

Forrie
--
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie at morywn.UUCP